Saturday, September 5, 2009

Your Eyes and Ears



Have you ever thought about your eyes and ears? I have thought about them when I see or hear of someone who doesn't have a working pair. But other than that, they don't even cross my mind.

I was going to a meeting the other day when I was thinking about the way I experience the world around me. And how that information might change the way I experience the rest of the day or the rest of my life. As long as I am awake I have my eyes open and am listening to the sounds around me. They don't have a filter but act as a funnel device. As long as the image is in front of me, it is recorded and as long as the sound is relatively close it is recorded as well. I can "pay attention" to a certain part of the image or sound to make a decision to continue, buy, reject, walk, duck, smile, turn away, run, get excited, be depressed, be full of hope, expect the divine, accept defeat, etc.

But the interesting thing is that when I come across an image or sound that I have seen or heard before I automatically remember how I reacted the first time I came across that situation. This makes my reaction time faster. But what I realized was that sometimes my initial reaction wasn't the correct one. This makes it difficult to "reprogram" my reactions.

This makes it very important to "pay attention" or realize what we are looking at and listening too. Since there is no built in filter on either of the input devices it is up to the user to "filter" by choosing wisely.

I remember a song my mother would sing to me that went "Cuidado los ojitos al mirar..." Translated (be careful what your eyes look at). It is important that we take care of what we put in our heart, mind, soul.

Whatever we look at stays with us for a loooooooong time. If I were to ask you, "What have you seen that you shouldn't have?" you will automatically remember the image. Impressive, right? It would be great if it worked that way for the Biology, Chemistry, Algebra and geometry formulae, but I haven't got it to work that way. In any case we should take to experiment to heart and realize how important we should apply our personal "filter" and guide our eyes and ears to see and listen to that which is uplifting kind, patient, loving, nobel, and uplifting.


No comments: